1. Where do you work and what is your job title? I am a Legal Assistant with Chain | Cohn | Stiles
2. What prompted you to choose a paralegal career? I had a friend who worked in a law firm in Fort Worth, Texas (back then it was called Cantey, Hanger, Gooch, Munn & Collins) and she asked me if I wanted to come to work there. That was in 1977 and I have been in the legal field ever since.
3. What is your favorite part of your job? Responding to discovery and preparing lawsuits.
4. What professional associations do you belong to? Kern County Paralegal Association and NALA…The Association of Legal Assistants and Paralegals.
5. How has your membership benefited you? Attending the monthly luncheons to earn MCLE credits, thus far, and meeting other members where I can put a face to a name of those I deal with (the adversary on a case) throughout the process of a lawsuit. Also, now that I am on the Board as newsletter editor, I am becoming more intimately aware of the significance of our organization and the role we play in our community.
6. What has been the highlight of your career? Being awarded the title of Kern County Paralegal of the Year in 2010/2011. Read more about Lou’s award here.
7. What do you see as hot trends in the paralegal industry? The level of professionalism and recognition of many of the fine people within the work force.
8. If someone contemplating a paralegal career asked you for career advice, what would your answer be? Even if you have a paralegal certificate, start as a file clerk or at the very most a legal secretary so you can learn the profession from the ground up.
9. Is there a quote that inspires you? Here is one of many: Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. George Sand 1804-1875
10. You’ve enjoyed a successful paralegal career. To what single event or person do you attribute that success? There is no substitute for showing up every day, working hard while at the office, and a good, amiable attitude.
11. What’s your favorite vacation getaway? New York City
12. If you could not be a paralegal, what would be your dream job? Photographer for NatGeo!
13. What is your favorite hobby? Golf
Bonus Question: What makes you lose your patience? Rude, pushy people